On 15 February 2013 The Star published an article titled A history buried under the grass which highlighted the poor state of Bezuidenhout Park and more specifically the 'Bezuidenhout Familie Begraafplaas'. The graves were overgrown, crumbling and in dire need of care. The following excerpt provides some background to the importance of the cemetery:
"...but the main memorial arch, inscribed in Dutch, commemorated Frerick Bezuidenhout, born in the Cape Colony 1825, buried here in 1900 next to his wife Judith Viljoen. They owned the farm Doornfontein in the days of the gold rush in 1886 and gave their names to the suburbs of Doornfontein and Judiths Paarl and, of course, Bezuidenhout Park. The land, 40 hectares, was sold to the the city in 1949 by their son Willem to be used as a public park, on condition the original farmhouse built in 1863 (and presumably the cemetary) was maintained. No doubt Willem also lies somewhere under the undergrowth."
Please use this thread to add more background and to keep the citizens of Johannesburg informed on the state of this historic cemetery.